Monday, September 13, 2010

Books n' Babies - A Cute Baby Shower Idea!


This past summer, I had the absolute honor of helping my mother plan a very special baby shower for my sister-in-law, brother, and their baby-to-be! I was so excited to hear the news that I was going to be an aunt again and wanted to do something special for my niece/nephew (they didn't find out the sex of the baby). In wanting to do so, I knew that sometimes, due to the use of registries, showers can lose that personal touch.

So in trying to keep it personal for my little niece/nephew, I decided to add a little twist to the ever-so-popular Hallmark card. I have heard this idea here and there, but I wanted to share it with everyone because it really was fun - not to mention something that the family can enjoy (and pass down) for years to come - rather than throwing away a cardboard card.

On the shower invitation kindly ask the guests to bring a storybook for the baby in lieu of a card. Also include on the invitation to please include their special thoughts, advice or blessings for the baby on the inside cover so both the baby and parents can keep and treasure your words. This was really a hit at the shower, and my sister-in-law walked out with a basket full of personalized books for their baby! Because o the popularity of the book poem, I thought it was perfect to include in a blog for easy access - and so more babies can enjoy the gift of reading!

Although cards are nice with their sentiment and prayer,

They're read once or twice then tucked away with care.

A book is a treasure - words and pictures unite

Read over and over to teach and delight.

So instead of a card for baby and mother,

Please give a child's book with your thoughts in the cover.

Your book will be cherished; God will watch from above,

When it's read they will remember your kindness and love.



Ps. I am now the proud aunt of niece Shylah Belle. She is one of the happiest babies I know and loves reading her books. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment