Friday, December 31, 2010

Goodbye 2010, Hello 2011...

As I sit down to write this last blog post of the year, I cannot help but wonder where the year went! These days are flying by, but I am loving every minute of it. As this last day of 2010 has come upon us, I am able to reflect upon an amazing year – filled with love, laughter and a few bumps and hurdles that allowed me to better myself and be better prepared for all that 2011 may bring!

First and foremost, 2010 was an absolutely fantastic year because I was finally able to obtain my dream of becoming a wedding planner. I officially launched Queen City Weddings earlier this year and cannot believe how far we have come in such a short time. I have to take a moment and thank my husband, my family, and my friends for their endless support and constant encouragement. I could not have done it without you. I consider myself truly blessed to know such amazing people – and continuing to meet such amazing people in the form of wedding professionals and brides & grooms.

Another highlight of 2010 was the birth of my niece, Shylah Belle. What a blessing a child is! I cannot believe that she is already 8 months old as I write this, but it has been such a joy watching her grow throughout these months - finding her fingers and toes, recognizing voices, learning how to crawl, and giving the best smile a child could give. She is such a happy baby and is always smiling at anyone she sees. And seeing her with such happiness and innocence really allows you to put life into perspective. Why not be happy? Why not enjoy everyone for who they are? Life is too short to reflect on the negatives. So, a big thank you to Shylah Belle who has been my constant reminder to live life to it’s fullest and never take a moment for granted.

Shylah on her Birthday!
Shylah Belle Christmas 2010 (8 Months)

2010 also meant my first wedding anniversary with my husband. Words cannot even describe what an honor it is to be his wife. This past year has been such an incredible journey and I have him to thank for it. I am so lucky to have someone who is always there believing me, understanding me, and loving me for me. To celebrate our year of marriage, we enjoyed a delicious dinner and headed out for a weekend just the two of us. It was absolutely perfect and everyday I am reminded that we were truly meant for each other and I can’t wait to spend many, many, many more years with the love of my life.



As I made way through 2010, I also came upon some major career decisions. There were a few ups and downs through the process, but as the New Year is creeping closer and closer, I am only reaffirmed in my thinking of “everything happens for a reason.” Each path I have taken in regards to my career has allowed me to meet extraordinary people, learn some important things, and gave me the opportunity to get to know myself better. It may have been quite the roller coaster ride, but I would have it no other way. It was an incredible experience and I am looking forward to all the 2011 will bring.

2010 also provided me with an event that I would like to put at the very bottom of my “highlight” list; however, the outcome has allowed me to appreciate life all that much more - and the people that are in it. It has also taught me that anything could happen in a minute, so live for today for you never know where tomorrow will take you.

In May of this year, my mom had a very bad bicycle accident. Bad as in she flipped over her bike’s handlebars straight onto her head, couldn’t remember anything that had happened, my dad had to call 911, she spent a portion of the week in the hospital and had a very bad case of dizziness and nystagmus. All in all, I can thankfully say that today she is back to her normal, remarkable self, but that accident allowed our entire family to evaluate our lives a bit more and come to the realization of how quickly things can change.

Me & My Mama
(days before the accident)

For me, it really allowed me to see how quickly things could happen as I was on the phone with her minutes before my dad called me frantically to please come quick to grab their bikes as they are headed to the hospital. But I learned some important lessons during this tragic event. 1. Family will always be there for you and I have one of the best families a girl could ask for. 2. There is no one in the world like your mom, your best friend, your mentor…and no argument, anger or grudge is worth the time because you never know when that person will be gone. 3. I truly admire those individuals that devote their time in the medical field and spend their lives saving people. You can never thank them enough. 4. As I stated above, live life to it’s fullest and never take a moment for granted.

Lastly, a few other highlights to note that helped make 2010 what it was.

-
Celebrating the 1st birthday of my other adorable niece, Leah Katherine. I just love her to pieces.

- Finding out that I will be an aunt yet again. So excited! I just absolutely love being an aunt. Can you tell?
- Finalizing major renovations on our “new” house. So so so happy that they are coming to an end…well, kind of.

- Becoming Landlords for the first time. Many lessons learned – on all angles.
-
My baby brother turned 21. Talk about feeling old.
-
One of my best friends, Laura, became a mother for the first time. So exciting and so awesome to see her as such a natural.


- Got to finally see where my high school bff works in NYC. Long overdue, but so much fun.


So, all in all, as I make my way into the year of 2011, I can only sit back and reflect on what an incredible year 2010 was – what it brought me, what it taught me, and what it allowed me to be. And in doing so, I can’t help but think how all that much better 2011 will be because of it. Because, after all – everything happens for a reason, so sit back and live life to the fullest, but don’t forget to stop and thank all of those who have helped you along the way.

Happy New Year to All!

No comments:

Post a Comment